Associate Professor, Department of Art History, Department of Visual Arts
Ph.D. University of California, Berkeley
M.Phil. Columbia University
- Matthew Jesse Jackson in Christian Matthiessen, On Tour mit Art & Language und Niklas Luhmann: Ein Theorie-Roman in the Style of the Jackson Pollock Bar (Berlin: Kulturverlag Kadmos, 2012).
- “The Emperor of the Post-Medium Condition,” in THEASTER GATES: 12 Ballads for Huguenot House (Koln: Konig, 2012), 17-22.
- Vision and Communism (New York: The New Press, 2011).
- “Slow Difficulty: An Exchange with Charles Harrison,” InterReview 9 (fall 2007): 1-8; reprinted in Charles Harrison, Looking Back (London: Ridinghouse/RAM, 2011).
- The Experimental Group: Ilya Kabakov, Moscow Conceptualism, Soviet Avant-Gardes (University of Chicago Press, 2010).
- “maximum friction-confusion-love&sex-bathos.” In Tirdad Zolghadr, et al. eds., Internal Necessity: A Reader Tracing the Inner Logics of the Contemporary Art Field (Berlin: Sternberg, 2010), 156-158.
- Review of “The Quick and the Dead at the Walker Art Center,” Artforum International (November 2009): 218-219.
- “The Category of ‘Contemporary Art’ is Not New,” October 130 (Fall 2009): 120-124.
- Review of Boris Groys, Art Power, Bookforum (June/July/August 2008): 62.
- “Conversations with God.” In James Elkins and Michael Newman, eds., The State of Art Criticism (New York and London: Routledge, 2007), 328-331.
- “Para-Performative Practices and Late Modernism: On Contemporary Art and the Museum,” Museum International, volume 59, number 3 (September 2007): 41-51.
- “Martin Luther King Jr.: The Greatest Artist of the Twentieth Century?” BlackBook Magazine (October/November, 2006).
- “Managing the Avant-Garde,” New Left Review (March/April 2005): 105-116; appears in Spanish translation as “La gestión de la vanguardia,” New Left Review 32 (May/June 2005); in Turkish translation as “Avangardi Yönetmek” in New Left 2005: Turkiye Seckisi (London: Verso, 2006); a revised version appears in The Uncertain States of America Reader, Brian Shollis and Noah Horowitz, eds. (New York: Sternberg Press, 2006), 52-59; and in Other Worlds: Selections from New Left Review 4, Susan Watkins, ed. (Calcutta: Seagull Books, 2006).
- “Rachel Harrison,” exhibition review, CAA Reviews (April 2005).
262 Cochrane-Woods Art Center
5540 South Greenwood Avenue